The Sacramento Emergency Rental Assistance (SERA2) Program, in partnership with the City and the County of Sacramento, will provide emergency rent and utility assistance to renters living anywhere in Sacramento County who have experienced a reduction in household income or other financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Eligible applicants can receive assistance for past rent and utilities owed from April 1, 2020 to March 31, 2021 and may qualify to have a portion of their rent paid for April, May and June 2021. The total assistance amount available will depend on household need.
February 25, 2021 – March 19, 2021
TO BE ELIGIBLE, RENTERS MUST:
1. Rent their home anywhere in the County of Sacramento
2. Have household gross annual income at or below the following low-income limits:
3. Have at least one household member that:
- is qualified for unemployment benefits
- has experienced a reduction in household income, incurred significant costs, or has experienced a financial hardship due to COVID-19
4. Demonstrate housing instability or a risk of being unhoused.
Households that previously applied for and/or received rental assistance through the SERA1 Program are eligible to apply again.
Priority will be given to households that owe rental arrears.
How much rental arrears can be paid?
For assistance with rental arrears, landlords will have a choice:
- To accept 80% of an eligible household’s unpaid rental debt accumulated from April 1, 2020 to March 31, 2021 as payment in full. The landlord must agree to forgive the remaining balance.
- To accept 25% of the eligible household’s unpaid rental debt accumulated from April 1, 2020 to March 31, 2021 for the tenant to receive protection provided in AB3088.
- To not accept payment and choose to not participate in the SERA2 Program. In this case, 25% of the rent arrears will be made payable to the tenant so they can pay the landlord and receive the protection provided in AB3088.
Utility payments will be issued directly to the utility company.
For the best user experience, please use the Chrome, Microsoft Edge or Safari web browsers.